Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventures.....Pre Review

Never been to DCA and probably never will, however, This attraction is coming to my Disney home park...WDW Magic Kingdom in the new Fantasyland Expansion.

Since I have never be on this ride yet all I have is the videos and pictures seen on the net.  Some of it looks Great...other parts not so much.  Disney has been needing some good dark rides of this fashion in a bad way.  Look at the most beloved attractions on every ones list, most of them are dark rides or have major dark ride elements about them.  Disney has jumped on the movie screen motion simulator wagon and stayed on it too long and they need to get back to their roots in my opinion.

Here is a video of the attraction.



Some of this ride looks Fantastic!  The feeling and mood of the "under the sea" section, and of course the Ursula section.  The Ursula animatronic alone looks like it makes this ride a must see! 

I do have some issues with this, I wouldn't be a Disney fanatic if I didn't....seems to be what holds Disney fans together is criticizing and yet loving at the same time!

First issue I have is this all seems very It's a small world to me.  Especially in the "under the sea" section.  The minimal movements of the characters, things just spinning like the starfish, and the atmosphere around it seems minimal.  The mood of the room is great, but just seems half done to me.  I cant see the Sebastian character that well but he looks like a very small AA animatronic and from what little I saw he looks great.  Much like the bird in the beginning looks nice!  But everything seems...half thought out during the entire ride.

The next issue I have I just cant seem to get out of my mind.  Ariel's hair.  It just looks odd.  I realize getting hair to look like its underwater when its not is a near impossible task...but this just looks like I'm watching an attraction brought to you by the Old Navy mannequins.  From the video, however, it does look like they gave the hair some independent motion that probably looks much nicer in person and not on video.  Watch the video again and you can see it.

Looks mannequin like to me.

Dairy Queen Undersea Soft Serve?

King Triton got real hair...


The last issue is with the finale.  It is horrible!  I can overlook the fact that they left out the fall of Ursula, well sort of since it was such a big part of the movie, but the Finale is so bad in this ride.  First off we see repeats of some of the animals from the Under the Sea section of the ride.  They didn't even get different colors, or even different movements.  Its like they needed more things in this section and at the very last minute plucked some out of the middle of the ride and threw them here to give it more life.  Each scene was like it was building to some fantastic beautiful finale and all we get is a short scene....falls flat.


That's it?  That's the end?

Again I have not seen it in person and could be being to harsh.   What do you think?  E ticket worthy?  Almost, but not quite.

No comments:

Post a Comment